Winter Sports Frittata
As the winter sports season fast approaches, there is nothing more important than providing yourself with a protein-packed, post-run meal. This lentil and tuna frittata developed by the Australian Egg Corporation will ensure you are refuelled after a weekend on the run.
Using ingredients straight out of the pantry, this recipe is as simple as it is convenient. Combining nutrient-packed eggs, lentils and tuna with sweet capsicum and onion creates a unique flavour combination sure to make mouths water. Serve it with your favourite salad or vegetables for added nutrients and texture.
Whether it's after a run or race, the healthy lentil and tuna frittata only takes 10 minutes to whip up.
What's more, eggs contain the highest nutritional quality protein of all food sources, aiding in muscle growth and repair while also boosting your immune system. The eggs in this dish combined with protein-rich lentils and tuna provide the ultimate protein punch, perfect for the sporting season.
HEALTHY LENTIL AND TUNA FRITTATA WITH TOMATO SALAD
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
½ cup low-fat milk
1 can lentils
1 onion, diced
½ red capsicum, diced
1 can tuna in spring water
Pepper to taste
Tomato Salad Ingredients
4 tomatoes, medium sized, cut into wedges (use different colours and shapes if available)
½ red onion, diced
½ bunch chives, chopped
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Crack the eggs into a bowl add milk and whisk.
3. Spray an ovenproof pan or dish with oil place onto the stovetop and heat.
4. Add onions and capsicum and sauté lightly.
5. Add tuna and lentils, stir and then add the egg mixture.
6. Stir and place into the oven for around 15 minutes or until cooked.
7. In the meantime place tomatoes onto a plate, sprinkle with onions, chives and drizzle with oil and vinegar, season with pepper.
8. Remove frittata from oven, leave to cool for 5 minutes than remove from pan and cut into portion-size triangles.
Serving size: 439g
For more inspiring egg ideas, visit www.eggs.org.au.