This Layered Egg Sandwich developed by Australian Eggs is a twist on the humble classic and perfect for a portable feast.
Served in a glass, the elegantly deconstructed sandwhich is visually impressive but easy to create, taking just 20 minutes to prepare.
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 lebanese cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and diced
- 2 thick slices of wholegrain bread, toasted
- 160g reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1/8 bunch of each finely chopped herbs (chives, parsley, dill, mint)
- Tear the bread into bite size pieces and place into the oven or under the grill until toasted and slightly crunchy, turning occasionally.
- Stir the herbs into the ricotta, season with pepper to taste.
- Divide the cucumber in the bottom of two glasses followed by the bread chunks, ricotta and boiled egg.
To finish, decorate Mum’s glass with a personalised note.
Cooking tips: Replace cucumber with tomato or add diced ham.
More recipes at eggs.org.au.