A lighter alternative to a solid favourite
I’m a meat-eater, but I enjoy good quality veggie burgers. They’re no substitute for beefy, barely-fit-in-your-mouth constructions topped with bacon and cheese, but I try to reserve burgers like that for days I’m feeling especially ravenous. After a 32km run or an especially brutal speed session? Bring on the behemoth. But on a day with just 6km easy on the schedule, I opt for something lighter and healthier.
These black bean and quinoa burgers from Greatist make for a pleasing, easy-day dinner. The black beans have plenty of fibre; the quinoa, plenty of protein. Mustard goes right into the mixture, which adds moisture and brings summer barbecues to mind. You can put the burgers on a roll with all the traditional trimmings, but these taste just as great atop a bed of leafy greens.
BAKED BLACK BEAN AND QUINOA BURGERS
What you’ll need:
1 can black beans (440g)
1/2 cup cooked quinoa (prepared according to package directions)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
How to make it:
1. Drain and rinse the can of black beans. Make sure your quinoa is fully cooked and on hand.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the beans and cooked quinoa with the remainder of the ingredients.
3. Using your hands or a fork, thoroughly mix the ingredients together, mashing the beans as you go. This should form a paste-like mixture that is easy to form into patties.
4. Divide the mixture into four equal balls, and form each into a patty between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch thick.
5. In a medium saucepan over high eat, cook the patties in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil for 1 minute on each side, or until lightly browned.
6. Transfer the saucepan to a 200 degrees Celsius oven and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Serve on a whole-grain bun or over fresh greens with your choice of fixings on top. Serves 4.
Like this article? Subscribe to Runner’s World and save up to A$35 on the retail price (delivered directly to your door) and receive a FREE pair of Brooks socks PLUS if you subscribe for two years you will also receive a FREE Runner’s World watch.
If you missed picking this issue up at newsstands you can purchase your Runner’s World back issue here today!